Hamburger Mary's to Donate Profits of Its New Hate-Free Chicken Sandwich
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 01 2012 1:16 PM ET UPDATED: August 01 2012 6:57 PM ET
Hamburger Mary's, the legendary LGBT- and drag-friendly chain of eateries that serve burgers with a side of sass, wants to remind customers that it's a place for "open-minded people, a place where everyone is welcome and diversity is celebrated," according to Ashley Wright, co-owner of the Chicago and Milwaukee franchises and co-owner of the master franchise brand.
"Mary’s is adding her voice to the increasing number of campaigns to counter Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy’s controversial public stance against marriage equality," he says, "by offering a Aouthern-style chicken sandwich while advocating diversity."
Hamburger Mary’s new “hate-free” southern-style chicken sandwich starts with a fresh chicken breast, marinated and battered with Mary’s secret recipe flour and spice mixture. It’s then deep-fried and served with herb mayo and dill pickles on a bakery-fresh bun. A portion of money from sales of the chicken sandwiches will be donated to support pro-equality efforts.
The original Hamburger Mary's in San Francisco was started in the 1970s by a group of gay hippies who wanted to open a gay-owned, people-friendly gathering spot where everyone was welcome — and they did so with only $500.
“We were extremely poor,” says Bob Charles, the last surviving founder of Mary’s. “We were living on food stamps, SSI, and peace and love. But we had some drug-induced fantasies of owning our own ‘anti-establishment’ bar/restaurant, run on our own relaxed and laid-back agenda.”
Today there are 12 Hamburger Mary's locations in the U.S.
In addition to serving burgers and other guilty pleasures (including deep-fried Twinkies and Mary Tyler S’Mores), it's become many communities' go-to place for drag queen charity bingo, drag shows, and queerioke (that's LGBT-friendly karaoke, which the company calls Mary’Oke).
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM