Activists Hold Kiss-in Day to Protest Chick-fil-A
August 03 2012 7:59 AM ET
Friday marks a national day of action at Chick-fil-A restaurants across the country as the organizers of a kiss-in protest aim to respond to company president Dan Cathy’s opposition to marriage equality.
The National Same-Sex Kiss Day will be “showing Chick-fil-A our thanks For Their support of love, equality, and the real definition of marriage,” according to a Facebook page created by the organizers. This past Wednesday, the company reportedly experienced a “record-setting day” when hundreds of thousands turned out for an “Appreciation Day” called by Mike Huckabee.
The Georgia-based fast food chain became a proxy for the nation’s debates over marriage equality and free speech after Cathy said that by allowing marriage equality, the United States was “inviting God's judgment on our nation.” Chick-fil-A has also donated millions of dollars to antigay groups and causes.
There has apparently been at least one dispute at a Chick-fil-A location today. Website TMZ reports that police were called to the Hollywood location this morning, not because employees objected to the kiss-in, but because they felt reporters on the scene were being too aggressive in trying to get comments from staffers. However, the workers and the media had resolved their differences by the time police arrived, the site reports: “In other words, they kissed and made up.”
Check Advocate.com throughout the day for updates on the kiss-in. And send us your photos at email@example.com.
More Same-Sex Kiss Day photos on the following pages.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 17 min 34 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 35 min 30 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 56 min 26 sec ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 1 hour 13 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 1 hour 29 min ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 39 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 1 hour 58 min ago