Maryland Chick-fil-A Vandalized With Stickers, Rainbow Flag
BY Lauren Jow
August 13 2012 1:39 PM ET
Another Chick-fil-A restaurant has been vandalized with pro-same-sex marriage messages – this time with stickers instead of paint.
Stickers promoting marriage equality and an image combining a rainbow flag and the American flag were found glued to the windows of a Maryland Chick-fil-A restaurant early Sunday morning, Cpl. Gregory Santangelo told The Frederick News-Post. Several homemade signs were also left at the site, he said.
The items have since been cleaned from the site, and the Frederick County Bureau is now investigating the vandalism, using physical evidence and video surveillance of the suspects, police said.
Josh Levin, campaign manager for Marylanders for Marriage Equality released a statement condemning the vandalism.
“We abhor any vandalism or disrespect in this campaign," he said. "We remain focused on supporting all Maryland families and sending the message that committed gay and lesbian couples should be treated fairly under the law. We encourage our supporters to have conversations with people they know who may be undecided on the issue. That’s how we win.”
The Maryland vandalism occurred a few days after West Hollywood artist Manny Castro was arrested on suspicion of painting “Tastes Like Hate” and a depiction of a cow holding a paintbrush on a Torrance, Calif., Chick-fil-A. On Aug. 4, vandals also spray painted “Don’t Hate” and “Tastes Like Hate” on a Chick-fil-A in Des Peres, Mo.
The three incidents are part of nationwide protests against the restaurant chain and its president and CEO Dan Cathy, who has publicly opposed same-sex marriage. Amid calls for boycotts by LGBT allies and activists, supporters of the restaurant flocked to the stores for Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day on Aug. 1. A couple days later, same-sex marriage proponents held National Same-Sex Kiss-In Day at Chick-fil-A locations around the nation.
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM