Chick-fil-A Says 'Fruitcake' Remark Was Not a Gay Slur
BY Michelle Garcia
October 16 2012 5:37 PM ET
A Chick-fil-A franchise in the Atlanta area is passing out fliers for party trays that use the term "fruitcake," but the company says that the term was not meant to be contemptuous or mocking of gay people.
The Chamblee, Ga., store's advertisement, posted on Towleroad, claims, "Only a fruitcake wouldn't love our party trays."
"This is an advertisement that a locally owned and operated restaurant has been using for the past five years to promote Chick-fil-A's catering options during the holidays," Steve Robinson, the company's executive vice president and chief marketing officer, said in a statement to The Advocate Tuesday afternoon. "It was simply a play on words referring to the traditional holiday food, and the restaurant had no intention of offending anyone whatsoever. We regret the flier may have been taken out of context."
The company came under fire earlier this year after its president said he was "guilty as charged" when it came to using his company to support antigay causes. It has so far used its Winshape Foundation to donate about $5 million to antigay groups, according to Equality Matters, including those that attempt to change people from gay to straight.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 13 min 23 sec ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 26 min 47 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM