Baker Under Investigation for Denying Wedding Cake to Lesbian Couple
BY Neal Broverman
February 04 2013 2:28 PM ET
A baker in Gresham, Ore., is under investigation after he refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.
The women claim Sweet Cakes owner Aaron Klein called the women “abominations to the Lord.” Klein denies saying that but admits that he wouldn't make the cake.
“I apologized for wasting their time and said we don’t do same-sex marriages,” he told the local media. I “honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, [it’s] just something I believe in very strongly.”
An Oregon statute bans sexual orientation discrimination in public accommodations, which includes businesses. But critics argue that could conflict with Klein's constitutional right to practice his religion. The office of Oregon's attorney general is now investigating the matter. Read more here.
- Out NYC Owners Call Gays 'Cheap,' 'Entitled' In Disastrous Interview
- 9 Celebs Who Learned the Hard Way the T-Word Is Over
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- The Films of the 26th Annual Honolulu Rainbow Film Festival
- Op-ed: When Right vs. Left Becomes Right vs. Wrong
- WATCH: NOM Thinks It Has a Future (At Least Until 2016)