Baker Under Investigation for Denying Wedding Cake to Lesbian Couple
BY Neal Broverman
February 04 2013 2:28 PM ET
A baker in Gresham, Ore., is under investigation after he refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.
The women claim Sweet Cakes owner Aaron Klein called the women “abominations to the Lord.” Klein denies saying that but admits that he wouldn't make the cake.
“I apologized for wasting their time and said we don’t do same-sex marriages,” he told the local media. I “honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, [it’s] just something I believe in very strongly.”
An Oregon statute bans sexual orientation discrimination in public accommodations, which includes businesses. But critics argue that could conflict with Klein's constitutional right to practice his religion. The office of Oregon's attorney general is now investigating the matter. Read more here.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM