Baker Under Investigation for Denying Wedding Cake to Lesbian Couple
BY Neal Broverman
February 04 2013 2:28 PM ET
A baker in Gresham, Ore., is under investigation after he refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.
The women claim Sweet Cakes owner Aaron Klein called the women “abominations to the Lord.” Klein denies saying that but admits that he wouldn't make the cake.
“I apologized for wasting their time and said we don’t do same-sex marriages,” he told the local media. I “honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, [it’s] just something I believe in very strongly.”
An Oregon statute bans sexual orientation discrimination in public accommodations, which includes businesses. But critics argue that could conflict with Klein's constitutional right to practice his religion. The office of Oregon's attorney general is now investigating the matter. Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2 hours 56 min ago
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM