Baker Under Investigation for Denying Wedding Cake to Lesbian Couple
BY Neal Broverman
February 04 2013 2:28 PM ET
A baker in Gresham, Ore., is under investigation after he refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.
The women claim Sweet Cakes owner Aaron Klein called the women “abominations to the Lord.” Klein denies saying that but admits that he wouldn't make the cake.
“I apologized for wasting their time and said we don’t do same-sex marriages,” he told the local media. I “honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, [it’s] just something I believe in very strongly.”
An Oregon statute bans sexual orientation discrimination in public accommodations, which includes businesses. But critics argue that could conflict with Klein's constitutional right to practice his religion. The office of Oregon's attorney general is now investigating the matter. Read more here.
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- New Orleans Mayor Counters Jindal's Order With One of Acceptance for All
- PHOTOS: Let's Take a Long Look at Long Beach Pride