Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 02 2013 7:00 AM ET
Whether you celebrate Christmas, Kwanzaa, or you're getting a late start on Hanukkah shopping, retail season has begun. First came Black Friday, then Small Business Saturday and today is Cyber Monday. But before you whip out a credit card for online purchases or head to the mall to brave the hordes looking for a deal, you should know what companies do with the cash you spend.
Some clearly support their LGBT employees and customers, some clearly don't — and then there's a group somewhere in the muddled middle. For those, you'll want to proceed with caution.
STOP HERE: Chevron
NOT THERE: ExxonMobil
The worst company on the entire Corporate Equality Index (an annual list from the Human Rights Campaign of the businesses with the most LGBT-supportive policies) is ExxonMobil. For two consecutive years, the company has scored a -25 out of 100 possible points, which is the lowest score ever received by any corporation. We put ExxonMobil on the cover of The Advocate this year to help draw attention to the company's terrible record. Days later, the company made headlines by extending eligibility for health care plans to the legal spouses of its gay and lesbian employees. But while out doing your holiday shopping, don't line up at these pumps just yet. With the Supreme Court's ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act and subsequent changes to who the federal government considers married, ExxonMobil's old policy had arguably become illegal. The company's shareholders have voted over and over against changing its antidiscrimination policy to include sexual orientation and gender identity. That hasn't changed. Meanwhile, Chevron had a perfect score from the HRC in both 2012 and 2013. Shell is a close second with a 95.
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 38 min 27 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 53 min ago
- Travel Forget J.Lo, Windy City Gay Idol is the Hot Ticket 55 min 48 sec ago
- Parenting How Every Parent Should Respond to Their Child Coming Out 1 hour 10 min ago
- Pride Will Lithuania Ban Pride Parades? 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women WATCH: Meet Orphan Black's New Clone! 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women Who the F Is ... Dolly Wilde 1 hour 34 min ago