PHOTOS: Protest Against Sultan-Owned Beverly Hills Hotel
BY Neal Broverman
May 05 2014 8:41 PM ET
Anger is building with the Sultan of Brunei and his business dealings, which includes ownership of 10 luxury hotels, including the Beverly Hills Hotel. The sultan recently instituted Sharia law in his Asian nation, allowing for the stoning of those who engage in gay sex and women who commit adultery. Others could also have their limbs severed if they're convicted of property crimes and jailed for missing religious services.
Dozens showed up at Monday's protest at the Beverly Hills Hotel, including Jay Leno and his wife, Mavis. Hotel workers reportedly gave water and cookies to the protestors. The Beverly Hills City Council is preparing to issue a proclamation condemning the sultan and urging him to sell the hotel (he also owns the nearby Hotel Bel-Air in Los Angeles). The chief executive of the Dorchester Collection, the umbrella group of the sultan's hotels, said the protest is hurting employees and the Beverly Hills Hotel will not be sold.
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: There's No Christian Case for Raising Cash for Homophobes
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- Op-ed: Dear Straight People
- Op-ed: I Am a Straight, Female Sister of Perpetual Indulgence (And You Can Be, Too!)