It’s About the Bottom Line
BY Mike Hofman
September 10 2008 12:00 AM ET
Estée Lauder New York CityFinancial snapshot: The cosmetics company ended its 2008 fiscal year in August with $7.91 billion in net sales, an increase of 12% over 2007.
A gay-friendly company in a gay-friendly industry, Estée Lauder’s stock surged in August thanks to strong international sales. As the dollar regains ground against the euro, sales could stall. But for now the company that owns Aveda, Clinique, and M.A.C. is in a strong position.
Kimpton Hotels San FranciscoFinancial snapshot: The hotel group is on track to gross $600 million again this year.
Another beneficiary of the strong euro, the boutique hotel company plans to open 15 additional hotels in major metropolitan areas in 2009, on top of the 42 properties it operates at present. And unlike some of the employers on this list, Kimpton typically has positions available for workers at all levels in terms of skills and income.
Intel Santa Clara, Calif.Financial snapshot: In July the computer chip maker announced second-quarter revenue of $9.5 billion, up 9% from the second quarter of 2007.
After a few bad years in which its sales and stock price dipped, Intel has been rebounding of late, thanks to strong growth in demand for tiny microprocessors for notebook computers and for mobile devices.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM