It’s About the Bottom Line
BY Mike Hofman
September 10 2008 12:00 AM ET
Estée Lauder New York CityFinancial snapshot: The cosmetics company ended its 2008 fiscal year in August with $7.91 billion in net sales, an increase of 12% over 2007.
A gay-friendly company in a gay-friendly industry, Estée Lauder’s stock surged in August thanks to strong international sales. As the dollar regains ground against the euro, sales could stall. But for now the company that owns Aveda, Clinique, and M.A.C. is in a strong position.
Kimpton Hotels San FranciscoFinancial snapshot: The hotel group is on track to gross $600 million again this year.
Another beneficiary of the strong euro, the boutique hotel company plans to open 15 additional hotels in major metropolitan areas in 2009, on top of the 42 properties it operates at present. And unlike some of the employers on this list, Kimpton typically has positions available for workers at all levels in terms of skills and income.
Intel Santa Clara, Calif.Financial snapshot: In July the computer chip maker announced second-quarter revenue of $9.5 billion, up 9% from the second quarter of 2007.
After a few bad years in which its sales and stock price dipped, Intel has been rebounding of late, thanks to strong growth in demand for tiny microprocessors for notebook computers and for mobile devices.
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 20 min 11 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 19 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM