Dream Gigs for Young Gays
BY Michelle Garcia
March 21 2011 8:10 PM ET
7. Microsoft — Redmond, Wash.
HRC Equality Index Score: 100
One of the wealthiest nerds in America is also an advocate of human rights — including gay rights — around the world. Microsoft founder and chairman Bill Gates is on track to give away most of his money during his lifetime, fulfilling a philanthropic pledge he made. The international foundation set up by Gates and his wife, Melinda, has included the funding of HIV/AIDS research among its initiatives. Last year Gates came out against the "kill the gays" bill in Uganda and said homophobia fuels stigma against people with HIV. At home, Microsoft was also among the largest employers in the Pacific Northwest (including Nike and Boeing) that came out in support of Referendum 71, which established strong domestic partnerships for gay couples in Washington State.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Finding the Funny in "Ex-Gay" Marriages and a Queerpocalypse
- Ugandan LGBT-rights Activist Granted Asylum
- Meet the Iowa Lesbians Finally Married After 72 Years
- India Gets First Transgender TV News Anchor