Dream Gigs for Young Gays
BY Michelle Garcia
March 21 2011 8:10 PM ET
7. Microsoft — Redmond, Wash.
HRC Equality Index Score: 100
One of the wealthiest nerds in America is also an advocate of human rights — including gay rights — around the world. Microsoft founder and chairman Bill Gates is on track to give away most of his money during his lifetime, fulfilling a philanthropic pledge he made. The international foundation set up by Gates and his wife, Melinda, has included the funding of HIV/AIDS research among its initiatives. Last year Gates came out against the "kill the gays" bill in Uganda and said homophobia fuels stigma against people with HIV. At home, Microsoft was also among the largest employers in the Pacific Northwest (including Nike and Boeing) that came out in support of Referendum 71, which established strong domestic partnerships for gay couples in Washington State.
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- Ireland Votes Yes, Becomes First Nation in World to Approve Marriage Equality
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers