Dream Gigs for Young Gays
BY Michelle Garcia
March 21 2011 8:10 PM ET
7. Microsoft — Redmond, Wash.
HRC Equality Index Score: 100
One of the wealthiest nerds in America is also an advocate of human rights — including gay rights — around the world. Microsoft founder and chairman Bill Gates is on track to give away most of his money during his lifetime, fulfilling a philanthropic pledge he made. The international foundation set up by Gates and his wife, Melinda, has included the funding of HIV/AIDS research among its initiatives. Last year Gates came out against the "kill the gays" bill in Uganda and said homophobia fuels stigma against people with HIV. At home, Microsoft was also among the largest employers in the Pacific Northwest (including Nike and Boeing) that came out in support of Referendum 71, which established strong domestic partnerships for gay couples in Washington State.
- Travel First Same-Sex Couple to Wed at Roman Baths 43 min 47 sec ago
- Politics S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula 53 min 38 sec ago
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 1 hour 20 min ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 1 hour 27 min ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 1 hour 34 min ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 1 hour 39 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 2 hours 31 min ago