BY Advocate Contributors
September 21 2010 12:20 AM ET
IGLOBE (the Intel Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual or Transgender Employees) is an Intel-chartered Employee Group that exists to provide a forum for Intel employees in affirmation of Intelâ€™s commitment to equality, diversity and making Intel a Great Place to Work.
IGLOBEâ€™s meetings and activities are focused on many aspects of outreach and education for the purposes of employee networking, breaking isolation and providing support in the work environment, and working with the company to promote Intel Values.
IGLOBE seeks to assist its members and the company at large to address issues of isolation and ensure that the most productive environment possible exists for all employees. Alisa Brewster, a finance analyst at Intel appreciates that she no longer feels the isolation or fear at work, stating â€śI feel a part of the team and I can concentrate on my job. Being a part of IGLOBE is just another part of the sense of community that Iâ€™ve found at Intelâ€ť.
A few IGLOBE accomplishments include:
- Teaching â€śA Walk in My Shoesâ€ť â€“ an interactive workshop to educate managers on workplace issues that concern LGBT employees
- Visiting local high school Gay/Straight Alliance clubs to talk about careers in high-tech and how to find LGBT-friendly colleges and employers
- Working with Intel Involved to Adopt-a-family to support LGBT or AIDS-affected individuals during the holidays
As a founding member of IGLOBE, Dave Hughes has seen great progress made for LGBT employees, â€śI feel that people are more empowered now to become involved and many people have learned that itâ€™s ok to bring their entire â€śselfâ€ť to workâ€ť, he says.
In addition to internal employee support, Intel also supports numerous LGBT â€“owned businesses as part of their Supplier Diversity Program. Intel was a founding corporate member of the National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM