BY Advocate Contributors
September 20 2011 3:00 AM ET
HP fosters a positive, productive work environment, one based on pride, trust and mutual respect, where exceptional people can flourish. Our Human Rights and Labor Policy commits us to fair treatment of all employees, and HP’s Open door Policy promotes open communications, allowing each person’s voice to be heard.
These employee voices are important because every individual has something important to contribute, and diverse backgrounds bring diverse perspectives. This helps fuel the creativity, innovation and invention that HP is known for. Throughout the world, we are putting our differences to work to connect everyone to the power of technology in the marketplace, workplace and community. By doing this, we create solutions that reflect the ever-changing fabric of the global community in which we live.
We are also proud to be pioneers in the quest for LGBT workplace equality. HP was the first company to start an Employee Resource Group (ERG) specifically for its LGBT employees over thirty years ago, inspiring a movement that has grown to include ERGs at many companies and the Out & Equal Workplace Summit.
HP provides a wide range of benefits for the domestic partners of our employees, and the company’s Nondiscrimination Policy and Harassment-Free Work Environment Policy both include sexual orientation and gender identity/expression. HP has also developed a Gender Identity/Expression Toolkit to assist managers in discussions with employees and to actively foster an inclusive workplace.
But don’t just believe us. HP has consistently been awarded a 100% rating on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index in recognition of policies, practices and benefits related to the treatment of LGBT employees. HP was awarded an “Outie” award from Out & Equal Workplace Advocates in 2004 for Significant Achievement for our Gender Expression Toolkit. And in 2008, HP received another “Outie” award as the Employee Resource Group of the Year in celebration of 30 years of the HP Pride ERG, and for founding the ERG movement that gets stronger by the year.
Creating a diverse, inclusive environment has been an ongoing journey of continuous action for many years, guided by deeply held values. Our diversity vision today is one of global proportions that requires courageous, bold actions from many people throughout the world. Both directly and through events such as Out & Equal, we are proud to share what we have learned along the way and the aspirations we are actively working to achieve.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM