BY Neal Broverman
November 05 2008 1:00 AM ET
Has there ever been a time we’ve needed Suze Orman more? With marriage changing the financial equation for thousands of gay couples and the world economy teetering on collapse, the money guru’s sage counsel has become required reading, viewing, and listening.
Orman also knows that holding on to one’s money is a defensive tactic for gay men and lesbians. Looking like Queen Elizabeth rallying her troops, she unleashed a financial call to arms at the Human Rights Campaign’s national dinner in October in Washington, D.C.
“Money speaks volumes, people,” roared the 57-year-old as she accepted the group’s National Equality Award. “It speaks louder than you have any idea. And for you and me and all of us to truly change what’s going on in this world you have got to be financially powerful. You cannot be in debt; you cannot have financial bondage if you want to set yourselves free.”
Orman had the crowd in the palm of her hand, keeping them at attention for almost 20 minutes. Her main point -- the same message she expresses on her CNBC show; in her column in O, The Oprah Magazine; and in her eight best-selling books -- was that when people don’t grab the reins of their financial destiny, they allow themselves to become victims.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM