BY Neal Broverman
November 05 2008 1:00 AM ET
Since coming out of the closet in a February 2007 New York Times Magazine article, Orman has continued to put her money -- her net worth is estimated at over $30 million -- where her mouth is. Most recently, she’s been working with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., filming public service announcements assuring depositors that their money will be protected if their bank fails. She used her relationship with the institution to convince FDIC chair Sheila Bair to change rules regarding insurance for certain trust accounts, in order to eliminate discrimination against same-sex partners. Now a same-sex partner named as the account holder’s beneficiary will receive the same coverage as a legal spouse or any other beneficiary.
“Will I forever continue to fight for us?” Orman asked the HRC audience. “You betcha I will.” And you can take that promise to the bank: Orman has offered her will-and-trust kit free to Advocate readers. Go to suzeorman.com, click on the "Will & Trust Kit" link in the left-hand navigation bar, click on the orange gift code button, and enter "Advocate" as the password. From there, follow the online instructions to redeem and activate the free kit.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 17 min 21 sec ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 23 min 24 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 19 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 48 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 40 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM