BY Neal Broverman
November 05 2008 12:00 AM ET
Since coming out of the closet in a February 2007 New York Times Magazine article, Orman has continued to put her money -- her net worth is estimated at over $30 million -- where her mouth is. Most recently, she’s been working with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., filming public service announcements assuring depositors that their money will be protected if their bank fails. She used her relationship with the institution to convince FDIC chair Sheila Bair to change rules regarding insurance for certain trust accounts, in order to eliminate discrimination against same-sex partners. Now a same-sex partner named as the account holder’s beneficiary will receive the same coverage as a legal spouse or any other beneficiary.
“Will I forever continue to fight for us?” Orman asked the HRC audience. “You betcha I will.” And you can take that promise to the bank: Orman has offered her will-and-trust kit free to Advocate readers. Go to suzeorman.com, click on the "Will & Trust Kit" link in the left-hand navigation bar, click on the orange gift code button, and enter "Advocate" as the password. From there, follow the online instructions to redeem and activate the free kit.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 1 hour 10 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 1 hour 12 min ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM