BY Brandon Voss
April 01 2010 12:55 AM ET
With quirky roles like an apathetic hairstylist in The Broken Hearts Club, a ditzy manicurist in Legally Blonde, and the ultimate cougar in American Pie, it’s no wonder Jennifer Coolidge has amassed a mighty gay following. Having honed her improv skills in Christopher Guest films like Best in Show and For Your Consideration, Coolidge recently added stand-up comic to her résumé. As part of the 20th anniversary of The Dinah, the annual lesbian party weekend in Palm Springs, Calif., the 48-year-old funny lady will headline Girl Bar’s HRC fundraiser on April 3 at Hotel Zoso. Coolidge, who currently costars on ABC Family’s The Secret Life of the American Teenager, explains why she’d probably date a woman before doing Dancing with the Stars.
The Advocate: Why did you decide to start doing stand-up comedy?
Jennifer Coolidge: It started out as a little experiment. I know this guy who has a club in Provincetown, and last year he said, “I’d love for you to come and put on a show.” I said, “Yeah, let’s try it out in July.” Then July came faster than I thought. I had something written, but it wasn’t really fleshed out with a beginning, middle, or end. All those boys in P-town should’ve gotten their money back. I just didn’t know what I was doing. Not that I’m an old salty sea captain now, but it feels like I am compared to what I was.
What about stand-up appeals to you?
I do have my New Orleans home to escape to, but when you live in L.A., where there aren’t a lot of seasons, it’s kind of like Groundhog Day, where you live the same day over and over again. And an actress in the Hollywood Hills lives a pretty isolated existence. When you do stand-up and go around the country, you get a really good idea of what’s going on in the world.
Is your act built on storytelling in the vein of Kathy Griffin and Sandra Bernhard, or do you do classic PMS and airplane food jokes?
No, I never have the line and then the joke. It’s maybe seven or eight stories where I talk about relationships, sex, and living in Hollywood.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 53 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 13 min 31 sec ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 22 min 7 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 1 hour 4 min ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 21 min ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 44 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 50 min ago