Here Is the Love
BY Michelle Garcia
May 05 2010 3:30 PM ET
There are other women comedians who garner a gay audience. Let’s say you, Kathy Griffin, and Chelsea Handler somehow got into a back alley fight — you never know, it could happen — who would win?
I think Kathy, because she would talk the longest. She would talk and keep talking until she won. Both Chelsea and I would be like “OK, bitch, we’ve got it.” [Laughs] I love Kathy.
If someone, for whatever reason, decides to start a lesbian rumor about you, do you think that would mess up your game?
No, because in my act everybody knows I talk about the lesbians and how I feel about them. If they know me and they know my act, they know that it would be a rumor. I won’t lie — it probably would help me! [Laughs] It would probably help my game.
Related to your hilarious work on I Love the ’70s and ’80s and so on, do you have a year for you that is a personal favorite?
The ’90s were really big. I would have to say 1999, because that’s when I decided I was going to pursue comedy. I hadn’t left my job yet, but I had decided that I was going to really pursue comedy and be serious about it, and there was a lot going on with comedy back then. I think that was my favorite year back then, ’99.
If a network gave you free rein to star in your own show, where you could do anything you’d like, what would it be?
I would love to be the host of a karaoke singing contest show, because I think I can sing ... but I really can’t. Karaoke is such a big hit! That way I could sing and it wouldn’t have to be good, but I could also host and make fun of people. And with the good people, we could cheer them on.
Do you have a signature karaoke song?
“Respect” by Aretha Franklin.
That’s a good one.
Yeah, I like that one.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM