Here Is the Love
BY Michelle Garcia
May 05 2010 3:30 PM ET
There are other women comedians who garner a gay audience. Let’s say you, Kathy Griffin, and Chelsea Handler somehow got into a back alley fight — you never know, it could happen — who would win?
I think Kathy, because she would talk the longest. She would talk and keep talking until she won. Both Chelsea and I would be like “OK, bitch, we’ve got it.” [Laughs] I love Kathy.
If someone, for whatever reason, decides to start a lesbian rumor about you, do you think that would mess up your game?
No, because in my act everybody knows I talk about the lesbians and how I feel about them. If they know me and they know my act, they know that it would be a rumor. I won’t lie — it probably would help me! [Laughs] It would probably help my game.
Related to your hilarious work on I Love the ’70s and ’80s and so on, do you have a year for you that is a personal favorite?
The ’90s were really big. I would have to say 1999, because that’s when I decided I was going to pursue comedy. I hadn’t left my job yet, but I had decided that I was going to really pursue comedy and be serious about it, and there was a lot going on with comedy back then. I think that was my favorite year back then, ’99.
If a network gave you free rein to star in your own show, where you could do anything you’d like, what would it be?
I would love to be the host of a karaoke singing contest show, because I think I can sing ... but I really can’t. Karaoke is such a big hit! That way I could sing and it wouldn’t have to be good, but I could also host and make fun of people. And with the good people, we could cheer them on.
Do you have a signature karaoke song?
“Respect” by Aretha Franklin.
That’s a good one.
Yeah, I like that one.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 7 min 9 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 9 min 2 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 27 min 9 sec ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 29 min 29 sec ago
- Film We Steal Secrets: Is Bradley Manning a Hero? 31 min 48 sec ago
- Film A Drinking Game for the Liberace Movie 32 min 15 sec ago
- Health News Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men 1 hour 42 min ago