The One-Woman Show
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
July 26 2011 3:10 PM ET
Michele Balan, a lesbian comedian who was a finalist on Last Comic Standing, has appeared on shows such as the The Joy Behar Show and Logo Wisecracks in addition to performing throughout the country. She talks with The Advocate about straying away from the 9-to-5 grind and pursuing a career as a comedian.
The Advocate: You left a cushy executive position in New York City for a career in comedy. How did that come about?
Michele Balan: Yes, what was I thinking? People had always told me I was funny and should be a comedian. So I had a moment of confidence — which doesn't happen much for a Jewish girl — and left my job. At the time, it was a good idea, but as I get closer to pension age, I think maybe I should have stuck it out. But in all honesty, I do not regret making the change, even with the lack of security, pension, and health care. At least I don't have to wake up every morning and be somewhere at 9 o'clock a.m. Which, by the way, I never was on time once through that whole career.
Did you consider corporate environments oppressing to those in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community?
It was very different in those days. I speak as if it was 1902, but it was in the '70s and '80s, and it was a lot more oppressive than today. I would always be asked when I was going to get married, why I wasn't dating, etc. I was dating, but it was a woman and I would always refer to her as "they" or "them;" like I was dating a group. I could never mention a gender. I would also use excuses for why I wasn't ready to settle down, such that I needed to focus on my career or because my therapist said I wasn't ready!
When you came out as a lesbian, did you take a humorous approach?
Yes, I used to do a joke: I told my grandmother I was a lesbian ... she said, no you're not ... you're Romanian! On your father's side!
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM