The One-Woman Show
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
July 26 2011 2:10 PM ET
Do you seek out to include LGBT material in your stand-up routines or do you mostly draw on personal experiences?
All my material is based on my observations and personal experiences — and that always includes LGBT material.
You were the final female contestant on NBC’s Last Comic Standing. How was that experience?
All competitions are very hard; no one wants to go to work and compete with their coworker every day. When you are in a competition it tends to make everyone a bit of a backstabber. Imagine being in a house with 12 other comics going for the prize — at one point I was hoping to be voted off the island! However, it did make me grow as a comic, as I was forced to be better every week. In the end, I made it to the finals, and it has been great for my career. People still come up to me and tell me that I should have won, and I respond that my fans are so old that they couldn't make that many calls from a rotary phone!
Everyone has that one first date story they can never live down. What’s yours?
I can barely remember yesterday ... My first date was so long ago, it probably took place on a stagecoach!
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 53 min 36 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM