The One-Woman Show
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
July 26 2011 3:10 PM ET
Do you seek out to include LGBT material in your stand-up routines or do you mostly draw on personal experiences?
All my material is based on my observations and personal experiences — and that always includes LGBT material.
You were the final female contestant on NBC’s Last Comic Standing. How was that experience?
All competitions are very hard; no one wants to go to work and compete with their coworker every day. When you are in a competition it tends to make everyone a bit of a backstabber. Imagine being in a house with 12 other comics going for the prize — at one point I was hoping to be voted off the island! However, it did make me grow as a comic, as I was forced to be better every week. In the end, I made it to the finals, and it has been great for my career. People still come up to me and tell me that I should have won, and I respond that my fans are so old that they couldn't make that many calls from a rotary phone!
Everyone has that one first date story they can never live down. What’s yours?
I can barely remember yesterday ... My first date was so long ago, it probably took place on a stagecoach!
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 48 min 5 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 29 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 34 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 52 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM