The Jason of All Trades
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
August 10 2011 4:44 PM ET
What are some of your gay-related upcoming projects?
On Friday, August 12, I am headlining the Muckenthaler Outdoor Theatre in Fullerton, Calif., to benefit the Center Orange County with Jennie McNulty. I am also in two gay films that are soon to be released. In Walk a Mile in My Pradas, with Tom Arnold and Dee Wallace, I play a Jewish doctor — my mother is thrilled. In Finding Mr. Wright,
starring Matthew Montgomery, Rebekah Kochan, and David Moretti, I play
one half of a couple that is obsessed with the movie star Rebekah
plays. My husband is Scotch Ellis Loring.
Being a gay male, has this made you sympathetic to other minority
groups, such as immigrants and African-Americans?
Yes. Also, being Jewish and having a father who was in the Holocaust has
made me even more aware of others. The comedy from my Jewish family
just never stops. I called my mother on the phone recently and I told
her I met a new guy in Key West named Darren. She asks, "Is he gay?" I
said, "No, he's a leprechaun! Of course he is — that’s the most
Have you ever had a bad experience in performing stand-up where someone in the crowd did not accept you because you were gay?
Yes, I was in Texas at the Laff Stop, where I was selling out and having
a great show. This guy who was really drunk yelled out, “You all have
AIDS.” After a beat, I said, “I guess we are having an uncomfortable
moment!" and the crowd roared. This is where I learned not to give my
power away as a comic. Now that has become a catchphrase in my act.
So I should really thank that guy.
What is your best gay joke?
Come on, straight people— if you let us marry each other, we will stop marrying you!
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 23 min 24 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 1 hour 8 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 19 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 21 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM