The Jason of All Trades
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
August 10 2011 4:44 PM ET
What are some of your gay-related upcoming projects?
On Friday, August 12, I am headlining the Muckenthaler Outdoor Theatre in Fullerton, Calif., to benefit the Center Orange County with Jennie McNulty. I am also in two gay films that are soon to be released. In Walk a Mile in My Pradas, with Tom Arnold and Dee Wallace, I play a Jewish doctor — my mother is thrilled. In Finding Mr. Wright,
starring Matthew Montgomery, Rebekah Kochan, and David Moretti, I play
one half of a couple that is obsessed with the movie star Rebekah
plays. My husband is Scotch Ellis Loring.
Being a gay male, has this made you sympathetic to other minority
groups, such as immigrants and African-Americans?
Yes. Also, being Jewish and having a father who was in the Holocaust has
made me even more aware of others. The comedy from my Jewish family
just never stops. I called my mother on the phone recently and I told
her I met a new guy in Key West named Darren. She asks, "Is he gay?" I
said, "No, he's a leprechaun! Of course he is — that’s the most
Have you ever had a bad experience in performing stand-up where someone in the crowd did not accept you because you were gay?
Yes, I was in Texas at the Laff Stop, where I was selling out and having
a great show. This guy who was really drunk yelled out, “You all have
AIDS.” After a beat, I said, “I guess we are having an uncomfortable
moment!" and the crowd roared. This is where I learned not to give my
power away as a comic. Now that has become a catchphrase in my act.
So I should really thank that guy.
What is your best gay joke?
Come on, straight people— if you let us marry each other, we will stop marrying you!
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM