Carlease Burke: No Shame for Star
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
August 16 2011 1:30 PM ET
Burke began her comedy career in the early in 1990s with no specific inspiration, other than the belief that stand-up looked like fun and, well, “everyone was doing it.” As she got her footing, the funny lady eventually landed high-profile television and movie roles. But her grassroots comedy mojo is never far away. In between her Shameless gig, she currently produces the comedy show Laugh-a-Latte at Hot Java n Long Beach, Calif. Shows are every third Saturday of the month, and admission is free — something she hopes will draw straight and LGBT audiences alike. Ever the street-level comic, Burke says part of her goal is to bring in support for the venue and the gay neighborhood where the coffeehouse is located.
In addition to the Showtime hit, Burke has a variety of other projects in the works. She appeared in the Disney film Prom, released in April, and has just finished filming Save the Date, which she describes as a feel-good sister movie. The comedy will hit theaters in 2012.
Currently penning a book, the actress has appeared in a plethora of genres, from the futuristic — Dollhouse — to the blue-collar comedy Raising Hope. But she insists comedy always attracts her. Then again, so do Alfred Hitchcock thrillers with thinly veiled lesbian stories.
“I like to watch silly goofball comedies, so I would definitely like to have a supporting role in one of those,” Burke says. “I've always wanted to play a Bette Davis–type character — all dark and mysterious — or someone like Dame Judith Anderson in Rebecca. Let's bring that genre back!”
No matter what type of character she plays — gay or straight, funny or foreboding — Carlease Burke is sure to steal the show.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 2 hours 24 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM