9 LGBT-Friendly Comedy Shows You Should Support
BY Jami Smith
October 24 2012 1:54 AM ET
Sure, funny is funny. You don’t have to go to a “gay” comedy show to experience a night of giggles, and clubs in every major city host a wide range of established comedians — including some who are LGBT.
But not every comedy club offers the LGBT community a chance to come together and laugh at ourselves without the risk of creeping sexism and homophobia, which are still too often passed off as entertainment.
Besides, going to a gay comedy show is a great alternative to the bar scene for meeting new people. Whether you are there for punch lines or pick-up lines, here are nine amazing shows at great venues, with a vetted lineup of comedians who are worth the ticket price.
Check out clips from the shows on the following pages and see if one is in your city,
- Commentary Op-ed: No One Is Invincible 7:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down 7:00 AM
- HIV & AIDS Everything You Need to Know About PrEP 6:56 AM
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Transmit HIV Through Oral Sex? 6:44 AM
- Current Issue Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo 6:01 AM
- Archives From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69 6:00 AM
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 4:00 AM