9 LGBT-Friendly Comedy Shows You Should Support
BY Jami Smith
October 24 2012 1:54 AM ET
Sure, funny is funny. You don’t have to go to a “gay” comedy show to experience a night of giggles, and clubs in every major city host a wide range of established comedians — including some who are LGBT.
But not every comedy club offers the LGBT community a chance to come together and laugh at ourselves without the risk of creeping sexism and homophobia, which are still too often passed off as entertainment.
Besides, going to a gay comedy show is a great alternative to the bar scene for meeting new people. Whether you are there for punch lines or pick-up lines, here are nine amazing shows at great venues, with a vetted lineup of comedians who are worth the ticket price.
Check out clips from the shows on the following pages and see if one is in your city,
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- PHOTOS: Pride, Right Here in Iowa City
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: My Life Isn't a Gamble 23 min 36 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM