Comedians We're Proud of: Cameron Esposito
BY Jami Smith
May 31 2013 6:00 AM ET
At its core, stand-up comedy is a do-it-yourself industry. To get noticed, comics often have to produce their own shows or podcasts and tour the festival circuit. Few comedians emobody that independent, DIY spirit more than Cameron Esposito.
Aside from her long list of festival appearances — including Women in Comedy, SXSW and Bridgetown — Esposito has created her own opportunities. She launched The Feminine Comique, a beginner's course for women in Chicago that "strives to give female performers the confidence and skills they need to begin a career in standup comedy." Since moving to Los Angeles, she's become a favorite at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater with her stand-up showcase, Put Your Hands Together. Every Tuesday at UCB, Esposito hosts an impressive mix of huge stand-up stars (Maria Bamford, Aziz Ansari) and new talent on the rise.
Here's just one reason we're proud of her:
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 33 min 23 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM