#TBT: Dad Will Handle the Meat
BY Christopher Harrity
July 17 2014 4:00 AM ET
Dad struggled with his identity after World War II. Some dame had taken his job. Women were getting real jobs in offices, not just secretaries. Dad had to stake his claim in the new suburban dreamscape. Dad chose meat.
Gramps used to get almost maniacal about those shish kebabs. Mushroom, meat, tomato, mushroom, meat, tomato. We used to yell "Easy does it on the java, Dad! You look like you're all hepped up on bennies!"
We thought the stomach pump on Dad's apron was really funny — until that time at Camp Upchucka. Apparently Dad's meat was tainted.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Catholics: Antigay Leaders Get Boot, a Progressive Becomes American Archbishop
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media