#TBT: Sweater Queens
BY Christopher Harrity
August 14 2014 7:45 AM ET
Before frenulum piercings, before neck tattoos, before beardos, a young or young-appearing gay gentleman strove for a relaxed sophistication. Perhaps a nice ID bracelet. A good Cartier tank watch. A class ring. A splash of Guerlain Vetiver. You ordered a dry martini at the bar, unless you had a signature drink like a Rob Roy or a Sazerac. And yes, even though you were in a gay bar, you did not talk about being gay, my dear.
Decked out in sweaters, ascots, and dickeys, the boys felt more than ready for a night of alcohol and bitter laughter.
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- Artist Spotlight: Jamil Hellu
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- 5 Most Disappointing Things We Learned About HRC's 'White Men's Club'