Op-ed: A Student Among the 47%
BY Alejandra C. Salinas
October 02 2012 4:00 AM ET
Who is Mitt Romney talking about when he says 47% of Americans don't take responsibility for their lives and want to be dependent on government?
He’s referring to our grandparents who worked their entire lives to provide a better future for us and now live on a fixed income. The soldiers and veterans who can now proudly serve this country without hiding who they are and whom they love. And college students like me who are seeking a higher education to pursue a career in public service.
Mitt Romney has had a few words of advice for college students. When we’re deciding the best way to finance our education, Mitt Romney recommends to just shop around or borrow more money from our parents. I, along with the vast majority of college students, don’t have that luxury. Instead, we have to make the tough choices whether to take out student loans and to work jobs to help put ourselves through school.
The truth is, I don’t believe my pursuit of a quality higher education makes me a victim or a freeloader. And I don’t believe the vast majority of young people in this country want a handout either. Yet Mitt Romney still believes we think of ourselves as victims. What does this say about his understanding of our generation?
He has accused us of not paying our fair share in taxes. However, most students pay plenty in taxes. We pay Social Security and Medicare taxes if we have a part-time job to support our education. We pay state taxes, local taxes, sales taxes, and gas taxes. In fact, most of us pay a higher percentage of taxes then the 14.1% Mitt Romney paid on the $13.7 million he earned in 2011.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 23 min 22 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 39 min 42 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 53 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 36 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 49 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 3:00 PM