Op-ed: Wait, I'm Doing a Musical?
BY Sacha Sacket
October 17 2012 8:07 PM ET
Performing in a musical is the last thing I expected to be doing in my 30s. Like any self-respecting gay boy, I was obsessed with Rent and West Side Story in high school, and even dabbled in college. When I graduated, I swore off the nasty habit. Musicals require belting and prancing, two things any self-prescribed “manly” gay must never do. I didn’t want to spend time singing “clang clang clang went the trolley,” and while I do think Judy Garland is absolute genius, I do not want to be her. So, in a nutshell, musicals were decidedly frothy things and most definitely not for me.
Getting asked to audition for one isn't something that happens every day, though. Actually showing up for tryouts was definitely out of character, but it was getting a role that scared the bejesus out of me. You see, I've always been seeking a small slice of indie music cred. For 10 years I've written, produced, and performed my ownmusic. I've put out six albums, toured America, and for the most part, it's been pretty awesome — I've got some stories, let me tell you. However, during a break from recording my new pop-dance record, I randomly Googled “gay bullying” (more than a little leap of logic, I know), which landed me smack-dab in the middle of Dan Savage's It Gets Better Project.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM