Op-ed: 10 Pro-LGBT Religious Women You Should Know
BY Joseph Ward
March 19 2013 3:06 AM ET
5. Reverend Erin Swenson
Ordained “Eric Karl Swenson” in 1973, the Reverend Erin Swenson became the first mainstream minister to complete a gender transition while remaining in ordained office. As the cofounder of the Southern Association for Gender Education and a member of the Human Rights Campaign’s Religion Council, Swenson travels around the country advancing conversations around gender identity in faith communities.
“As a transgender Presbyterian pastor and counselor, I’ve witnessed the despair and crushing fear felt by the entire community when violence is perpetrated against a transgender person. Over the past decade an average of one transgender person a month has been killed as a result of a hate crime,” she said in a video produced by the Human Rights Campaign to mark the National Transgender Day of Remembrance.
“We need to educate people about the enormous trials transgender people face in American society. Trials that when not addressed put all of us in jeopardy.”
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 10 min 21 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 19 min 12 sec ago
- Entertainment News TV Icon Bob Newhart Scheduled For Antigay Org Event With Rick Santorum 39 min 52 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Follow 24 Hours in LGBT America 2 hours 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: Russian Doll? 9:18 AM
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 7:00 AM
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 6:30 AM