Op-ed: 10 Pro-LGBT Religious Women You Should Know
BY Joseph Ward
March 19 2013 4:06 AM ET
5. Reverend Erin Swenson
Ordained “Eric Karl Swenson” in 1973, the Reverend Erin Swenson became the first mainstream minister to complete a gender transition while remaining in ordained office. As the cofounder of the Southern Association for Gender Education and a member of the Human Rights Campaign’s Religion Council, Swenson travels around the country advancing conversations around gender identity in faith communities.
“As a transgender Presbyterian pastor and counselor, I’ve witnessed the despair and crushing fear felt by the entire community when violence is perpetrated against a transgender person. Over the past decade an average of one transgender person a month has been killed as a result of a hate crime,” she said in a video produced by the Human Rights Campaign to mark the National Transgender Day of Remembrance.
“We need to educate people about the enormous trials transgender people face in American society. Trials that when not addressed put all of us in jeopardy.”
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 6 min 37 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 9 min 33 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 20 min 1 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 32 min 39 sec ago
- Art When Shel Silverstein Covered Fire Island for Playboy 41 min 15 sec ago
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 1 hour 23 min ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 1 hour 40 min ago