Op-ed: 10 Pro-LGBT Religious Women You Should Know
BY Joseph Ward
March 19 2013 3:06 AM ET
3. Bishop Yvette Flunder
Founder and senior pastor of City of Refuge United Church of Christ, Bishop Yvette Flunder leads worship services described by her congregation as “Bapta-Metho-costal.” In 2003 she was consecrated as presiding bishop of the Fellowship, a multidenominational group of over 100 Christian leaders, primarily African-American. She carries a powerful message of radical inclusion delivered through sermon, song, and activism.
Bishop Flunder serves as a trustee and adjunct professor at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, Calif., and she is the author of Where the Edge Gathers: A Theology and Homiletic of Radical Inclusion.
“The family, straight or Same Gender Loving (SGL), is an integral part of the faith community. Defining relationships and family for SGL people is a struggle in itself; however the stability of these relationships is foundational to the stability of the community,” she wrote last June.
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- STUDY: Gay Sex Helps Humans Bond and Survive
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary