Op-ed: 10 Pro-LGBT Religious Women You Should Know
BY Joseph Ward
March 19 2013 3:06 AM ET
3. Bishop Yvette Flunder
Founder and senior pastor of City of Refuge United Church of Christ, Bishop Yvette Flunder leads worship services described by her congregation as “Bapta-Metho-costal.” In 2003 she was consecrated as presiding bishop of the Fellowship, a multidenominational group of over 100 Christian leaders, primarily African-American. She carries a powerful message of radical inclusion delivered through sermon, song, and activism.
Bishop Flunder serves as a trustee and adjunct professor at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, Calif., and she is the author of Where the Edge Gathers: A Theology and Homiletic of Radical Inclusion.
“The family, straight or Same Gender Loving (SGL), is an integral part of the faith community. Defining relationships and family for SGL people is a struggle in itself; however the stability of these relationships is foundational to the stability of the community,” she wrote last June.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM