Op-ed: 10 Pro-LGBT Religious Women You Should Know
BY Joseph Ward
March 19 2013 4:06 AM ET
3. Bishop Yvette Flunder
Founder and senior pastor of City of Refuge United Church of Christ, Bishop Yvette Flunder leads worship services described by her congregation as “Bapta-Metho-costal.” In 2003 she was consecrated as presiding bishop of the Fellowship, a multidenominational group of over 100 Christian leaders, primarily African-American. She carries a powerful message of radical inclusion delivered through sermon, song, and activism.
Bishop Flunder serves as a trustee and adjunct professor at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, Calif., and she is the author of Where the Edge Gathers: A Theology and Homiletic of Radical Inclusion.
“The family, straight or Same Gender Loving (SGL), is an integral part of the faith community. Defining relationships and family for SGL people is a struggle in itself; however the stability of these relationships is foundational to the stability of the community,” she wrote last June.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 54 min 41 sec ago
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 1 hour 46 min ago
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 2 hours 25 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When Scout Comes Out at Camp 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM