Op-ed: 10 Pro-LGBT Religious Women You Should Know
BY Joseph Ward
March 19 2013 4:06 AM ET
3. Bishop Yvette Flunder
Founder and senior pastor of City of Refuge United Church of Christ, Bishop Yvette Flunder leads worship services described by her congregation as “Bapta-Metho-costal.” In 2003 she was consecrated as presiding bishop of the Fellowship, a multidenominational group of over 100 Christian leaders, primarily African-American. She carries a powerful message of radical inclusion delivered through sermon, song, and activism.
Bishop Flunder serves as a trustee and adjunct professor at the Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, Calif., and she is the author of Where the Edge Gathers: A Theology and Homiletic of Radical Inclusion.
“The family, straight or Same Gender Loving (SGL), is an integral part of the faith community. Defining relationships and family for SGL people is a struggle in itself; however the stability of these relationships is foundational to the stability of the community,” she wrote last June.
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 5 min 22 sec ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 10 min 23 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 1 hour 2 min ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 1 hour 10 min ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 1 hour 14 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 1 hour 29 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 37 min ago