Op-ed: 10 Pro-LGBT Religious Women You Should Know
BY Joseph Ward
March 19 2013 3:06 AM ET
1. Joanna Brooks
Author of The Book of Mormon Girl: A Memoir of an American Faith and senior correspondent for Religion Dispatches, Joanna Brooks is a nationally recognized progressive thought leader and religious scholar on Mormon faith. Her outspoken support for LGBT equality has helped shine a national spotlight on the hundreds of families and friends in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints working to advance the LGBT rights movement. She also serves as board chair for Mormon Stories, a nonprofit organization that shares faith journeys and discussions on Mormonism.
“Some gay Mormons have been rejected by their families and many have left the LDS Church, which teaches that homosexual behavior is sinful,” she wrote in a blog post last summer.
“Rejection has left a powerful need for reconciliation in our deeply felt faith tradition. … Mormons who support LGBT civil equality know that even as the rest of the nation begins to accept same-sex marriage our community has a long road ahead. But we take strength in a faith that has not been deterred by hard work or long journeys.”
JOSEPH WARD is the director of Believe Out Loud.
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 15 min 48 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 18 min 3 sec ago
- Travel Stockholm Pride Sent an FU to Putin 29 min 25 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks' 59 min 45 sec ago
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 1 hour 26 min ago
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 1 hour 28 min ago
- World News WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy 1 hour 35 min ago