Op-ed: How I Married 110 Same-Sex Couples
BY Marilee Harrison
September 17 2013 4:05 AM ET
I stared at the screen in shock. Not that I wasn’t pleased — I couldn’t have been more pleased — but I could not believe marriage equality was becoming a reality in New Mexico so rapidly. Only two days before, the Doña Ana County clerk began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
Now, the Santa Fe County clerk had been ordered by a judge to start issuing them or explain later in court why she would not. Collective breath was held. Then came word that she would start issuing the licenses to same-sex couples at 2 p.m. Oh, my! I had read an El Paso Times article about Bob Diven, a humanist celebrant in Las Cruces, who just went to the courthouse and offered his services. I contacted Bob on Facebook, saying I stood ready to do the same when Santa Fe County followed suit. It was rather cavalier of me, it turns out, as I assumed I’d have time to get my ducks in a row.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 7 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 30 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 38 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 46 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 48 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 57 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 43 min ago