Making Sense of a Tragedy
BY Anne Stockwell
March 26 2008 11:00 PM ET
Our community has responded with strong emotion to our cover story on the murder of 15-year-old Lawrence King. A number of voices whom we respect have objected to our raising difficult questions about what we can and must do to protect our gender-nonconforming youth.
We welcome this debate. Indeed, sparking this kind of dialog is at the core of our editorial mission. It is the crux of our service to the community. We hope you will share your thoughts with us, on this story and on all the work we do.
To facilitate an ongoing discussion, we invite you to reread the full complement of pieces we published as they ran in our April 8 issue: the cover story, a companion piece by trans activist Riki Wilchins, and my Letter From the Editor.
The results of our online reader poll also merit a place in the discussion. We asked: "Should LGBT teens exercise caution in expressing their identity?" By a wide margin, respondents said yes.
Yes: 64% No: 27% Unsure: 9%
Rest assured, we will continue to follow the story of Lawrence King. Meanwhile, we look forward to hearing from you.
Our youth are being murdered. How will we bring that to a halt? That’s the question on the table. We are all responsible for finding the answer.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 30 min 35 sec ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 35 min 40 sec ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 1 hour 22 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 1 hour 28 min ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM