LGBT Heroes to Remember
BY Neal Broverman
August 05 2011 6:00 AM ET UPDATED: December 13 2012 4:00 PM ET
Torill Hansen and Hege Dalen
The tragedy in Norway in July 2011 was horrific, but it would have been much worse if not for the actions of Torill Hansen and Hege Dalen, a couple vacationing at a campsite across from Utöyan Island. The women heard gunshots coming from the island, where Anders Behring Breivik was busy viciously murdering 69 people. They jumped in a boat and, making four trips, ferried 40 teenagers to safety as bullets hit the side of their craft.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- WATCH: Stonewall Movie Drops First Trailer
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet