Police: Spokane Beating Not Hate Crime
BY Winston Gieseke
October 10 2011 2:15 PM ET
A man who was badly beaten outside of a Spokane, Wash., gay bar was not the victim of a hate crime, say police.
At a news conference Saturday, Danny Hawkins told the media he had left Dempsey’s Brass Rail around 1:00 a.m. and was walking when he encountered a vehicle. Thinking the driver hadn’t seen him, Hawkins says he put his hand on the car’s hood. Hawkins says the driver jumped out the car and beat him up, all the while yelling antigay slurs.
“There were words that were very derogatory and aimed at hurting me personally,” said Hawkins, quoted by local news channel KXLY 4. “It's the 21st century and that kind of thing shouldn't happen, we're all people, treat everybody the way you want to be treated.”
While Hawkins feels the antigay slurs constitute a hate crime, Spokane Police say there is no evidence — including witnesses to back up Hawkins’s claims — to prove that the fight was anything other than a drunken brawl.
Hawkins — who admitted he couldn’t remember details of the fight or what his attacker looked like — was so intoxicated, police say, that he was unable to provide the responding officer with his own birthday or address.
Read the full story here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM