Man Sentenced in D.C. Shooting of Trans Woman
BY Winston Gieseke
December 07 2011 3:40 PM ET
A Washington, D.C., man has been sentenced to eight years in prison for shooting a transgender woman in September.
The Washington Post reports that Darryl Willard pleaded guilty to aggravated assault while armed for the attack, which occurred September 12.
Prosecutors say Willard knew the victim and that she was giving him a ride in her car when he proposed a sex act. When the victim said no, Willard purportedly pointed a gun in her face and demanded money. When she refused, say prosecutors, he fired the gun, hitting the victim’s neck.
The victim, whose name was not released, survived. Willard turned himself in to authorities the following day.
According to a story in the The Washington Times, police believe the shooting is unrelated to two other shootings earlier in the summer that targeted D.C. transgender women.
Read more here.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 45 min 32 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 hour 39 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 hour 56 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 2 hours 4 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2 hours 29 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2 hours 32 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2:07 PM