Man Sentenced in D.C. Shooting of Trans Woman
BY Winston Gieseke
December 07 2011 4:40 PM ET
A Washington, D.C., man has been sentenced to eight years in prison for shooting a transgender woman in September.
The Washington Post reports that Darryl Willard pleaded guilty to aggravated assault while armed for the attack, which occurred September 12.
Prosecutors say Willard knew the victim and that she was giving him a ride in her car when he proposed a sex act. When the victim said no, Willard purportedly pointed a gun in her face and demanded money. When she refused, say prosecutors, he fired the gun, hitting the victim’s neck.
The victim, whose name was not released, survived. Willard turned himself in to authorities the following day.
According to a story in the The Washington Times, police believe the shooting is unrelated to two other shootings earlier in the summer that targeted D.C. transgender women.
Read more here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 2 hours 50 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM