Suspect Arrested in Fla. Trans Murder Case
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
April 09 2012 2:35 PM ET
A man suspected of shooting and robbing several transgender and cross-dressing sex workers in Riviera Beach, Fla., has been arrested. According to Florida TV station WPBF, Luis De Los Santos is accused of the March 24 double shooting that killed one person, 23-year-old Tyrell Jackson, and injured another, 20-year-old Michael Hunter.
After the fatal shooting — one in a string of robberies targeting trans and cross-dressing sex workers — Riviera Beach police spokeswoman Rose Anne Brown said, “This suspect has targeted young men who are living a life as transsexual prostitutes.”
Whether Jackson was trans is not clear, though his sister Takesia Jackson told local reporters that her brother was gay.
De Los Santos was pulled over for a routine traffic stop last Thursday, and police noticed he was driving the same type of vehicle the killer had been driving: a 2003 silver Buick Rendezvous.
"When someone has put it in their mind to perhaps target individuals because of the way that they live their lifestyle, not only is that interfering with their safety, that's interfering with their personal freedoms," Riviera Beach police spokeswoman Rose Anne Brown told WPBF.
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant 1 hour 41 min ago
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM