Friends of Dharun Ravi Ask Court for Probation, Not Jail Time
May 05 2012 2:22 PM ET
Friends of Dharun Ravi, the Rutgers University student convicted of webcam spying in the high-profile suicide case of Tyler Clementi, have urged the court for probation, not jail time, in sentencing.
In letters filed to the court Friday, friends portrayed Ravi as a good person who had no malicious intent in the recording and broadcasting of an intimate encounter between Clementi and another man. Clementi committed suicide in 2010 by jumping off the George Washington Bridge following the incident.
In March, Ravi was found guilty of multiple charges including invasion of privacy and bias intimidation.
The letters, many from high school classmates, are part of the ongoing defense campaign to characterize Ravi's actions as a bad prank gone awry. In Friday's filing, defense lawyers portray Ravi as an ostracized young man who withered under the blazing glare of the news media. ...
"Immediately upon arrest, Dharun became the face of cyber-bullying and homophobia in the media," the defense lawyers wrote in documents submitted to Superior Court in Middlesex County. "As an eighteen year old who has become the subject of scholarly articles, television specials and countless newspaper and magazine articles, he withdrew from his friends and anyone who wanted to keep in contact with him."
Sentencing in the case is scheduled for May 21.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 2 hours 11 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM