Renato Seabra Gets 25-to-life for Killing, Castrating Boyfriend
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 28 2012 3:35 PM ET
On December 21, Renato Seabra was sentenced to serve 25-years-to-life in prison for the grisly murder of his boyfriend, LGBT journalist and activist Carlos Antonio De Castro in Manhattan in 2011, reports Gay City News.
Seabra, a 23-year-old Portuguese model, was found guilty of second-degree murder earlier this month for stomping to death the renowned journalist, then castrating him with a corkscrew and wearing his testicles as bracelets, claiming they allowed him to "harness" Castro's power and extract the "virus" of homosexuality as ordered by God.
Judge Daniel P. Fitzgerald called the murder "a chilling example of the manifestation of man's inhumanity to man," that was fraught with "sadism" in Manhattan's Supreme Court, according to Gay CIty News.
Gay City News reports that Seabra's lawyers argued that the young man was insane when he strangled, beat, and castrated his 65-year-old boyfriend in a Manhattan hotel room last year, and therefore could not be held accountable. The prosecution, on the other hand, argued that Seabra was exploiting Castro for money and in an effort to advance his modeling career. The assistant district attorneys prosecuting the case said that Seabra flew into a homicidal rage when Castro told the younger man their relationship was over and that they would soon return to Portugal, according to Gay City News.
Seabra addressed the court before his sentencing, saying through a Portuguese interpereter, "I just want to request the opportunity to ask for forgiveness from Carlos Castro's family and friends. I killed Carlos Castro. That's not anything I want to prove differently... I accept any time the judge will tell me because I committed the crime,"reports Gay City News.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM