Suspect Charged With Hate Crime In Brutal Attack of Chicago Lesbian Couple
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 12 2013 12:21 PM ET
A lesbian couple was attacked and robbed by a group of men in Chicago on Saturday night, and police are calling it a hate crime, according to the Chicago Tribune.
As many as ten men punched and kicked the women, pressing them up against a car in the South Austen neighborhood of Chicago’s West Side, and hurling antigay slurs. They were allegedly laughing as they assaulted the couple.
Only one of the men, Terry Glover, 24, has been arrested and charged with felony counts of hate crime and robbery. Police are still searching for the other assailants.
The attack occurred after a man, who had gone to high school with one of the women, recognized her and followed her down the street, taunting her for her gender-nonconforming attire. He punched her and, after the couple tried to fight back, was joined by other assailants.
“It was punches, kicks, everything being thrown at us,” one of the victims told the Tribune. “We just held each other until somebody said, ‘Here come the police.’”
The couple informed the Tribune that the police did not arrive, and the injured women asked a neighbor to call for help, since the assailants had stolen their money and phones. Their shoes and one of their shirts had also been torn off in the attack.
One of the women passed out before an ambulance arrived. Upon awakening, the hospital informed her that although she was beaten and bruised, no bones had been broken.
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 1 hour 54 min ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 1 hour 59 min ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2 hours 8 min ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2 hours 12 min ago
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 2 hours 13 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 2 hours 22 min ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 2 hours 26 min ago