Bronx Gang Member Gets 7 Years for Antigay Torture, Sodomy
BY Neal Broverman
August 10 2013 3:57 PM ET
A 20-year-old member of Bronx’s Latin King Goonies gang was sentenced to seven years in prison for his involvement in the 2010 torture of two teenage boys and a 30-year-old man.
Prosecutors say eight gang members tortured the three individuals for hours, beating them, chaining one to a chair, sodomizing two with plungers, and burning them with cigarettes while screaming antigay epithets at their victims. Nelson Falu, one of the gang members, pled guilty to a robbery charge on Friday, receiving seven years in jail. Prosecutors did not seek a trial because they did not want the victims to relive the horror of the experience.
Two other gang members took guilty pleas in June and the cases against the other “Goonies” are pending. While this crime happened three years ago, New York City is experiencing a recent upswing in antigay hate crimes.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM