WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend
BY Daniel Reynolds
April 16 2014 1:49 PM ET
An Alabama woman has been charged with the murder of her son’s boyfriend.
Police are investigating the death of Jamie R. Johnson, 36, who was shot at a Love’s truck stop Monday evening in McCalla, Ala.
Birmingham's WBRC reports that Johnson and his boyfriend of almost four years had asked the boyfriend’s mother, Anita T. Hill, to meet them at the rest area to ask for help moving. At one point, the boyfriend had returned to their car, leaving Johnson and the 51-year-old woman to speak alone. When Johnson also turned to walk away, Hill allegedly pulled out a handgun and fired.
"Witnesses at the scene describe that it appeared that the victim in this case attempted to turn and move away from the suspect. At which time she pulled a handgun and fired one round," said Sgt. Dale Phillips of the Tuscaloosa Metro Homicide Unit.
Police arrived at the scene shortly after the shooting at 6 p.m., when they transported Johnson in "grave condition" to a local hospital. He died from his injuries.
Authorities are investigating allegations that Johnson has been in a “violent” relationship with Hill’s son, but have yet to discover former charges of abuse. They do not believe his death constitutes a hate crime.
"We do not see this in any nature being a hate crime,” Phillips said. "We see this as a family having issues in this. All the people involved in this were either related or had been acquainted for several years."
Hill has been charged with murder, and is currently out of jail on a $75,000 bond.
Watch WBRC's report below.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- 10 Transgender Kings and Queens Who Ruled the School
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown