Teen Arrested In Connection To Detroit Pride Anti-Gay Beating
BY Jorge Rodriguez-Jimenez
June 16 2014 11:41 PM ET
Police have arrested a 16-year-old in connection with the beating of Christin Howard at the Motor City Pride event earlier this month.
Howard, who is gay, and his mother said a warrant request has been forwarded to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, according to Detroit Free Press.
“I know they will catch the rest of them,” his mother Tammara Hall told Detroit Free Press. “Thank God they caught this one. Those guys were totally wrong with what they did to my son. If there are people walking around here that are cruel and mean, everyone wants justice and wants those boys to go to jail.”
Howard said the incident began while taking photos with friends at the Detroit Riverwalk during the Pride event. While taking photos, a group of men approached him and began shouting homophobic slurs and criticizing his hair and attire.
The assault was captured on a cell phone and since the arrest multiple witnesses have come forward to help identify the other assailants. Howard was left with bruises to the face and back as well as a broken finger.
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died