A Day in Gay America
BY Advocate Contributors
October 28 2011 3:00 AM ET
Often lost in all the debates this year over same-sex marriage and “don’t ask, don’t tell” was the reality that lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans are people—not a category. And what a wonderfully diverse people we are. For our second annual photo project we asked readers from across the United States to send us a photo taken on August 12. There were so many fantastic contributions we couldn’t print them all here (keep watch on Advocate.com for many more). Each photo we received is both a stark reminder of our multiplicity and incontrovertible proof that we are everywhere — from Alaska to Maine — and deserve the right to live and love and celebrate ourselves as we choose.
5:57AM Queens, N.Y. (above left) Jon Winkleman, 44, waits for the 7 train in Sunnyside to head to his hospitality job in the city. “I’m not a morning person, but it is a beautiful view,” he says. The photo was taken moments before sunrise.
6:06AM Orlando, FLA. (above right) Don Gworek, a Gay Games and Outgames marathoner, goes on his daily run.
7:28AM Missoula, Mont. (above left) Misty Gaubatz and her partner, Kamal Fox, say “good morning” to their hen, Nancy, who showed up in their backyard this spring.
7:50AM Montecito, Calif. (above right) Actor-writer Dan Bucatinsky and writer-director Don Roos enjoying the weekend with their kids. Married in 2008 but together for almost 19 years, Bucatinsky and Roos are cocreators, along with Lisa Kudrow, of the acclaimed series Web Therapy.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM