A Day in Gay America
BY Advocate Contributors
October 28 2011 4:00 AM ET
Often lost in all the debates this year over same-sex marriage and “don’t ask, don’t tell” was the reality that lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans are people—not a category. And what a wonderfully diverse people we are. For our second annual photo project we asked readers from across the United States to send us a photo taken on August 12. There were so many fantastic contributions we couldn’t print them all here (keep watch on Advocate.com for many more). Each photo we received is both a stark reminder of our multiplicity and incontrovertible proof that we are everywhere — from Alaska to Maine — and deserve the right to live and love and celebrate ourselves as we choose.
5:57AM Queens, N.Y. (above left) Jon Winkleman, 44, waits for the 7 train in Sunnyside to head to his hospitality job in the city. “I’m not a morning person, but it is a beautiful view,” he says. The photo was taken moments before sunrise.
6:06AM Orlando, FLA. (above right) Don Gworek, a Gay Games and Outgames marathoner, goes on his daily run.
7:28AM Missoula, Mont. (above left) Misty Gaubatz and her partner, Kamal Fox, say “good morning” to their hen, Nancy, who showed up in their backyard this spring.
7:50AM Montecito, Calif. (above right) Actor-writer Dan Bucatinsky and writer-director Don Roos enjoying the weekend with their kids. Married in 2008 but together for almost 19 years, Bucatinsky and Roos are cocreators, along with Lisa Kudrow, of the acclaimed series Web Therapy.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM