A Day in Gay America
BY Advocate Contributors
October 28 2011 4:00 AM ET
8:58AM Paintsville, Ky. (above left) Produce manager Scott Cantrell, 37, at his job at Food City. “My store is fairly open about gay employees,” he says. “I am open and accepted in my store.”
9:10AM Beverly Hills (above right) Actor-activist James Duke Mason, 19, son of singer Belinda Carlisle, enjoys breakfast at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
9:15AM Richland, Wash. (above left) Retired nuclear safety analyst Bill Adam, 58, treks through the Hanford Nuclear Reservation. Now a contractor, Adam is seen here conducting a radiological risk evaluation.
9:24AM Grand Rapids, Mich. (above right) LZ Granderson collects his thoughts in front of a green screen at WGVU before going on CNN Newsroom.
9:30AM Abita Springs, La. (above left) Anna Ball, a 30-year-old PhD. candidate, gets a morning smooch from her pet bird, Jaxon.
9:38AM Morehead City, N.C. (above right) Peter Tickle cares for his father, who has Lewy body dementia. “Every day I get Dad up and showered,” Tickle says. “This is when I shave him, before the shower.”
10:07AM Queens, N.Y. (above left) For a moment of Zen, Kenn Gaither tends to his garden before heading to work as a staffing and operations supervisor.
10:30AM Torrance, Calif. (above right) Interactive media planner Jan Gonzales, 26, enjoys his first of many cups of green tea for the day, right beside his Kylie Minogue desk shrine.
10:33AM Adirondack Mountains, N.Y. (above) Bold Strokes Books authors (from left) Carsen Taite, Greg Herren, Rachel Spangler, Karis Walsh, and Lisa Girolami hike the Beaver Pond trail during a writers retreat.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM