A Day in Gay America
BY Advocate Contributors
October 28 2011 3:00 AM ET
6:20PM Grand Canyon, Ariz. (above left) Julio Rocha sets up his tent on the edge of a plateau after a nine-mile hike around the backcountry of the Grand Canyon.
6:40PM Greenbelt, Md. (above right) Lori (left) and Sarah Libes play with their 2-year-old son, Miles, after dinner. “We’re hoping he will wear himself out before bedtime,” Lori says.
6:59PM East Hampton, N.Y. (above left) John Feinblatt (right), chief policy adviser to New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, and his husband, New York City consumer affairs commissioner Jonathan Mintz, with their two daughters.
7:01PM Somerville, Mass. (above right) Jonathan Hinkle (right) is moving to Ithaca, N.Y., with his boyfriend, John McDonald, who is gearing up to work on his Ph.D. at Cornell University.
7:13PM Charlotte, N.C. (above left) Activist Loan Tran spends a quiet moment in a newly decorated bedroom. “It’s much cozier now, because I can look over and see all of the stuff I’m fond of,” Tran says.
7:15PM Boston (above right) Every year, Stephanie (right) and Melanie go to Boston’s Shakespeare on the Park festival. This year’s show was All’s Well That Ends Well.
7:20PM Milwaukee (above left) Daniel Schmidt and Mark Berry, partners for 17 years, married for three, enjoy cocktails and dinner outside at one of their favorite restaurants.
7:30PM Lincoln, Neb. (above right) Amanda Bergeron-Bauer receives her master’s degree with her wife and son by her side. “I couldn’t have earned either degree without her love and support,” she says.
8:01PM Glendale, N.Y. (above) Nicole Rivera spends the evening at the mall with her family after dinner.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM