A Day Without 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 13 2012 4:00 AM ET
9:15 a.m., Fairfield Calif.: "Female pilots rarely get to fly together, and I had the chance to fly with one of my best friends, Liz," said Julie Honeycutt, pictured on the right. "We have known each other since being stationed together in Germany and now at Travis Air Force Base in Northern California. Liz was the first person I worked with that I told I was gay, and I appreciated how it was a nonissue to her and had no effect on our great friendship. Life in the military is getting better now that DADT has been removed."
11:10 a.m., Lincoln, Neb.: Lt. Col. Philip L.“Flip” Fields, instructor pilot and commander, C Flight, 173rd Air Refueling Squadron, goes over his preflight checklist on the KC-135 Stratotanker in Lincoln. Fields came out to his military family after 20 years of serving in the closet and after marrying his partner of seven years in October 2012. Fields says he hopes his rank and time in service will inspire others military members to come out of the closet.
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective 9 min 59 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! 15 min 18 sec ago
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 45 min 24 sec ago
- Entertainment News Paul Rudd On Witnessing a Drag Queen Brawl 1 hour 12 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Airline 1 hour 15 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Gay Couples to Wed Atop 2014 Rose Parade Float 1 hour 47 min ago
- Music The Shondes: On Mixing Music & Politics 1 hour 47 min ago