Study: Marriage Equality=Healthier Gays
BY Neal Broverman
December 16 2011 1:40 PM ET
A study of gay men before and after the passage of marriage equality in Massachusetts showed a drop in their visits to health clinics after the Bay State legalized same-sex marriage in 2004.
Columbia University researchers surveyed the demand for medical and mental health care from 1,211 gay men registered with a particular health clinic in the 12 months prior to the legalization of same-sex marriage and the 12 months afterward. There was a 13% drop in clinic visits after Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriage. The research showed the reduction in health care needs transcended both single and coupled men, suggesting that the change had more to do with a reduction in stigma than the benefit of matrimony.
"There is a known link between health and happiness," a spokesman for the Terrence Higgins Trust, a U.K.-based sexual health and HIV charity, told the BBC. "It's no surprise that people who are treated as second class citizens tend to have low self esteem, which in turn makes them more likely to take risks. Whether this is drugs, alcohol abuse, or unsafe sex, treating gay men unequally has lasting repercussions for their health." Read more here.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 28 min 4 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 43 min 57 sec ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM