Study: Marriage Equality=Healthier Gays
BY Neal Broverman
December 16 2011 2:40 PM ET
A study of gay men before and after the passage of marriage equality in Massachusetts showed a drop in their visits to health clinics after the Bay State legalized same-sex marriage in 2004.
Columbia University researchers surveyed the demand for medical and mental health care from 1,211 gay men registered with a particular health clinic in the 12 months prior to the legalization of same-sex marriage and the 12 months afterward. There was a 13% drop in clinic visits after Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriage. The research showed the reduction in health care needs transcended both single and coupled men, suggesting that the change had more to do with a reduction in stigma than the benefit of matrimony.
"There is a known link between health and happiness," a spokesman for the Terrence Higgins Trust, a U.K.-based sexual health and HIV charity, told the BBC. "It's no surprise that people who are treated as second class citizens tend to have low self esteem, which in turn makes them more likely to take risks. Whether this is drugs, alcohol abuse, or unsafe sex, treating gay men unequally has lasting repercussions for their health." Read more here.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 1 hour 17 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 56 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM