Beth Israel Appoints LGBT Health Services Director
BY Josh Hinkle
February 17 2012 5:03 PM ET
Beth Israel Medical Center in New York has appointed Barbara Warren as director of the center's newly formed LGBT health services initiative.
Warren has long been an advocate for appropriate care for LGBT patients. Before taking up her new post, Warren was director of the Center for LGBT Social Services and Public Policy at Hunter College-City University of New York, according to a press release from Beth Israel.
In Beth Israel's new initiative, Warren will be forging new alliances with LGBT groups to help meet the health care needs of this population. She will also develop and implement in-house educational programs to keep the hospital staff up-to-date on LGBT health care needs.
"I am thrilled to join Beth Israel in this important new role," Warren said in the release. "Beth Israel Medical Center has embraced a unique opportunity to lead the way in establishing and sustaining LGBT-affirmative hospital-based and outpatient care."
The Human Rights Campaign has praised Beth Israel for its efforts to improve LGBT health care.
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- WATCH: Will Ian McKellen Marry Derek Jacobi?
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation