How to Finally Quit Smoking
BY Dr. Scott Lewis
November 15 2012 5:15 AM ET
Today is the American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout, a day when people are encouraged to quit smoking — or plan to quit — and remain nonsmokers thereafter. It also happens to be the Gay American Smoke Out, which was introduced in 1994 by the Billy DeFrank LGBT Community Center.
Although national statistics show that adult smoking rates have declined over the years, smoking is still prevalent among LGBT people. A study published last year in Nicotine & Tobacco Research from the University of Colorado Cancer Center found that gays and lesbians are almost twice as likely to smoke than straight people.
One of the possible reasons for this is stress, which has long been identified as a major contributing factor to smoking and one of the leading causes of relapse for those who have quit. Stress may play an especially important role for LGBT people, especially LGBT youth.
A study conducted by CenterLink (formerly the National Association of LGBT Community Centers) looked at 46 focus groups and found that “employment and relationship-related issues were common triggers for smoking, while larger issues like racism, homophobia, and transphobia were seen as playing a key role in why LGBT individuals were more likely to smoke than other people.”
Having helped smokers quit permanently for more than 25 years, I have identified five tips that can dramatically increase your chances of quitting smoking and remaining a nonsmoker — whether you choose to quit smoking today or any time after that.
Click through for five steps toward a smoke-free future.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM