How to Finally Quit Smoking
BY Dr. Scott Lewis
November 15 2012 5:15 AM ET
TIP 3: Establish Three Agreements
It’s very beneficial to set up three agreements before becoming a nonsmoker. First, if you live with somebody who smokes, it is important that he or she agrees to never offer you a cigarette or leave cigarettes lying around the house (both of which are common causes of relapse). Second, institute the same agreement with coworkers, family members, and friends. The third and most important agreement is with yourself. The most common cause of relapse is accepting a cigarette that is offered to you. It is imperative that you make the agreement with yourself to never “have just one” cigarette or accept a cigarette that is offered to you once you have become a nonsmoker.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- WATCH: Gay Dream Team of Michael Urie, Randy Harrison in Such Good People
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet