Safe Text: The Messages That Are Changing Our Sex Lives
BY Advocate Contributors
March 03 2014 5:00 AM ET
The public awareness campaigns surrounding HIV/AIDS have been a staple of urban billboards, bus shelters, and LGBT magazines for decades. The messages promoting prevention and testing have taken every possible tack. But which message works best? Do the menacing ads promote stigma? Do the ads with muscled, smiling men reduce the urgency of testing? The images’ transformations over the years tell the story of developing priorities and innovative strategies, and a growing awareness that HIV doesn’t discriminate.
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- Patrick Stewart: 'Supporting Gay Rights Is Natural'
- Gallery of Geek: J. Bone
- Madonna's 12 Studio Albums Ranked
- George Takei Hosts My Husband's Not Straight — The Perfect Follow-Up to TLC's 'Not Gay' Reality Show
- Op-ed: 6 Lessons a Straight Couple Learned From Owning a Gay Bar