Safe Text: The Messages That Are Changing Our Sex Lives
BY Advocate Contributors
March 03 2014 6:00 AM ET
The public awareness campaigns surrounding HIV/AIDS have been a staple of urban billboards, bus shelters, and LGBT magazines for decades. The messages promoting prevention and testing have taken every possible tack. But which message works best? Do the menacing ads promote stigma? Do the ads with muscled, smiling men reduce the urgency of testing? The images’ transformations over the years tell the story of developing priorities and innovative strategies, and a growing awareness that HIV doesn’t discriminate.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Amber Heard: 'I Don’t Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'