Global AIDS Plan Gets New Addition
BY Christopher Mangum
July 31 2009 11:00 PM ET
Were there any organizations or groups that proved to be barriers to the inclusion of MSM in the legislation?
During the reauthorization process there were really big debates on family planning. There were big debates on the prostitution pledge. There were big debates on treatment and whether if treatment should have a specific allocation, but in terms of MSM there was really no big debate around MSM and perhaps maybe because other issues had more media attention.
You said the bill isn't perfect, what else would you have liked to see included in this bill?
There is still an emphasis on abstinence prevention methods. The prostitution pledge remains in the law which is programmatic. There needs to be better linkage between family planning programs and HIV services. It is a good opportunity because the one reliable time that women will certainly go into health services is during pregnancy.
Despite its shortcomings, what do you hope will result with this legislation?
I hope that the people who are desperately in need of services are able to get the information and services that they need. There have been various sessions [at the AIDS Conference] and various advocates and people from on the ground who are speaking on the ground who are speaking about the dual epidemic of not just HIV but the stigma discrimination homophobia. This is a high risk community that has had limited access to services and this really has the potential to make a life changing and life saving impact in the lives of so many.
- Books Lambda Literary Awards: Leavitt, Bianchi, Winterson Nominated 6 min 2 sec ago
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 22 min 40 sec ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 23 min 52 sec ago
- Travel WATCH: Jeff Koons, John Waters Discuss Art 36 min 26 sec ago
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality 47 min 10 sec ago
- World World Bank President Withdraws From Panel on 'Economic Impact of Homophobia' 1 hour 31 min ago
- Transgender Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women 1 hour 37 min ago